Ansaldo Nucleare has been working for many years in the field of liquid and solid radioactive waste disposal (LILW: Low and Intermediate Level Waste).
Activities include concept definition and detailed design, components and materials procurement, on-site construction and commissioning of complete systems and plants - including turnkey projects - for the treatment of radioactive waste produced during the operating life of nuclear installations, as well as the waste deriving from their decommissioning.
Specific areas and types of interventions:
- Treatment of solid waste. Definition of treatment technologies and handling systems for solid radioactive waste;
- Treatment of liquid waste. Definition of treatment processes based on the chemical and radiological characteristics of waste produced during operation of nuclear installations and the waste generated during decommissioning activities;
- Treatment of organic waste. Development of an innovative wet oxidation process for the treatment of organic radioactive waste, in particular for ionic exchange resins (also conditioned with urea-formaldehyde);
- Handling systems. Design of systems and equipment for the handling of storage containers for radioactive waste and spent fuel;
- Radioactive waste storage containers. Design, construction and qualification of containers in compliance with the requirements of IAEA Regulations, for the temporary storage of low and intermediate radioactive waste;
Plants and nuclear sites where Ansaldo Nucleare is active in radwaste management:
- Trino NPP - Italy
- Caorso NPP - Italy
- Joint Research Centre of the European Commission - Ispra - Italy
- EUREX plant - Saluggia - Italy
- Ignalina NPP - Lithuania
- HABOG Storage Facility - Borssele - The Netherlands
- Khmelnitsky NPP - Ukraine